How to Cancel Your ADT Contract
As your family’s needs might change, you may be interested in how to cancel your ADT contract. If you cruise around the internet enough, you will find that there are disgruntled customers that describe a difficult process of canceling, but it’s actually quite simple and straightforward. Here are the steps on how to cancel your ADT contract:
- Visit the ADT website and scroll to the very bottom of the home page and click on Help Center.
- In the search bar, type in “How do I cancel my service?”
- Scroll down and click on “Account and Billing FAQs”.
- Under “How do I cancel my service?”, click on “Learn more about how to cancel your ADT service”.
- This will direct you to a page that asks about changing your service or if you are moving. It also has a link about canceling. Click on the canceling link.
- This will direct you to another page that gives you a phone number to call. This will direct you to ADT’s customer service and at that point, they will walk you through the steps of canceling. You cannot cancel your ADT service online. You have to call.
What do you do when they will not cancel your contract? There are a few ways to work around the terms of the contract your signed if you really do want to cancel your service and stop paying for it.
Most security companies have certain “out” clauses in their contract meaning that they will allow you to cancel under certain conditions. Those conditions are usually that you the customer has to pay a certain percentage of the remaining balance on the contract. Other companies require that you pay the full amount of the remaining balance.
With most home security companies, you can sell your existing contract to someone else. In other words, it’s transferrable. To find someone that might be interested in taking over your contract, do a little internet searching or even ask friends and family that might in the market for a home security company.
The bottom line is that you should never sign a long-term contract that you aren’t comfortable with or familiar with. It’s difficult to learn that the hard way. With ADT, if you don’t sign a long-term contract and want to be on a month-to-month basis, it will cost you more, but you will have the freedom to cancel service on your terms, not theirs. And it always feels better to not be tied down to any one company.